Importance of Emotional Intelligence Training for Leadership
Great leaders are those who leave a lasting impression on us by stirring our deepest emotions. They are reliable personalities capable of driving the team to achieve a goal by understanding, motivating, and assuring them of their abilities. Daniel Goleman, the author of the book “Emotional Intelligence” underlined the prime importance of emotional intelligence stating that “The most effective leaders are all alike in one crucial way: They all have a high degree of what has come to be known as emotional intelligence. It’s not that IQ and technical skills are irrelevant. They do matter, but...they are the entry-level requirements for executive positions.”
This technical skill is more than just important in the workplace. It is essentially a survival kit for employees in higher positions with the help of which they are able to fulfil their obligations towards the company’s objectives. And so the same importance is placed upon emotional intelligence training which trains professionals to identify the central components of emotional intelligence and understand how to implement them into action at their workplace.
Importance of Emotional intelligence in Leadership
A leader is bestowed with the responsibility to lead the team toward achieving the organization’s goals and objectives. The best way a leader can achieve this is by polishing their emotional intelligence by registering for the emotional intelligence course. Practising emotional intelligence eases communication between employees, making the collaboration interactive and productive.
What is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional intelligence skills help you manage emotions even during a tactful situation in the workplace. Besides, you will also be responsible for understanding and influencing the emotions of people around you. This technical skill has become a must-have among employers during the recruitment process. The survey by CareerBuilder stated that 71% of employers value EQ over IQ.
Emotional Intelligence can be broken down into 4 components:
Self-awareness is the main motive that boosts your confidence in what you do. In order to bring out the best in others, you first have to be sure and certain about yourself. It helps you become aware of your strengths and weaknesses. Attending the emotional intelligence course will also help you become attentive to your emotions and the effect it has on your team members.
You can strengthen your self-awareness by:
- ➤ Following the 360-degree feedback method, you can receive feedback from your superiors to know your weaknesses and areas that need working.
- ➤ Get to know about your attitude and personality from your team members. If there is more than one pinpointing to a certain attribute that makes you unpleasing, you can try to change it to increase your team's satisfaction.
Self-management is important to practice when one is placed in a rock-hard situation. It is extremely helpful to have a positive attitude even during dire situations. Such professionals come out as a source of strength for others as well. With a positive outlook, the team can together achieve their goals. Following the given steps will help you immensely in systematic self-management:
- ➤ The first step is to map out measurable goals that look after eliminating areas hindering one’s professional and personal progress.
- ➤ Ask repeated questions to yourself about why you’re feeling a certain way and how these emotions can be projected in a much more productive manner.
3. Social Awareness
The ability to read a room and react accordingly is as crucial as managing one’s emotions. Leaders who are able to read and understand others’ emotions have attributes of strong empathy and social awareness. They promote healthy communication and collaboration among team members. The global leadership development firm DDI ranked empathy as the most vital leadership skill.
- ➤ Social awareness is achieved by showing active listening skills. This increases the trust in the team members as they feel heard.
- ➤ Always deal with a situation in a calm and posed manner. Occasional outbursts on employees can create a bad reputation.
4. Relationship Management
Relationship management is the ability to influence, coach, and mentor others to arrive at a solution together. Instead of neglecting or avoiding a conflict, it is important to address it, not alone, but as a team. A report by Society for Human Resource Management stated that 72% of employees claimed that “respectful treatment of all employees at all levels” was the reason for their satisfaction in the workplace.
- ➤ A strong relationship is built when you hear the person out completely before placing your point of view forward. Thus, active listening skills are a must.
- ➤ It is important to identify and set expectations that fulfil the company’s goals from the beginning. This helps in preventing any sort of confusion or conflict in the future.
5. Effective Communication
Communication skills are definitely the most effective medium for promoting teamwork and trust among employees. It helps in enhancing productivity. The following things are to be considered for strong communication skills:
- ➤ Practice non-verbal communication. This can be achieved by maintaining eye contact, reducing excessive hand gestures, and maintaining a good posture.
- ➤ Polish your public speaking skills. It is important to maintain your confidence while speaking in front of a group, which can be developed by strengthening your self-awareness.
- ➤ As a leader, you should know when and where not to express your words and emotions.
Technical progress in the workplace is shallow if you have not been able to win the heart and trust of your team members. This is because working in a space requires teamwork, and teamwork is fostered only with good communication, listening, collaboration, and many more. This is where the importance of any emotional intelligence course attains prominence. As a leader, by mastering emotional intelligence you will be able to advance your career and organization together with the support of your team.
Message from the Author
If you’re looking to enrol for Emotional Intelligence training in Dubai, get in touch with Learners Point Academy. To learn more, visit the website: https://learnerspoint.org/, give a call at +971 (04) 403 8000, or simply drop a message on WhatsApp.
Learners Point Academy is a KHDA and ISO 9001:2015 accredited training institute in Dubai.
- Big Data on AWS
- Cyber Security
Leave a reply
Your email address will not be published.
- Agile Management
- Business Management
- Business Productivity
- Cloud Computing
- Coding & Programming
- Data & Business Intelligence
- Data Science
- Database Management
- Design & Engineering
- Digital Marketing
- Emerging Technologies
- Fashion Design
- Finance & Accounting
- HR & Admin
- Human Resources
- ISO Training Programs
- IT Governance Courses
- IT Service Management
- Legal Courses
- Logistics & Supply Chain
- Management & Leadership
- Project Management
- Purchasing & Procurement
- Quality & Process Management
- Soft Skills
- Warehouse Management
6 Strategies for Profits: Utilizing Cost Accounting for Ideal Pricing
Nov 14, 2022
A Beginner’s Guide to UAE Corporate Tax
Nov 14, 2022
UAE Corporate Tax: Compliance and Best Practices
Nov 14, 2022
5 Key Digital Marketing Strategies and Its Advantages
Nov 14, 2022
Scope of Digital Marketing in Dubai Post Covid-19
Nov 14, 2022